When College Dormitories Become Health Hazards - Diverse Health

Higher Education News and Jobs

When College Dormitories Become Health Hazards

Email
   
        


by Hanah Jun

Annemarie Cuccia saw the black mold spread through rooms in her dormitory — five on her floor in a span of about two weeks last September. Soon she spotted some mold in her own room as well, growing on walls and furniture.

Ms. Cuccia, now a sophomore at Georgetown University, and her roommate told a maintenance worker about the mold, and workers came to clean it off a few days later. But her problems did not end there.

“About a month later, I started getting really, really terrible pains in my ears,” said Ms. Cuccia, 19. She had an ear infection, caused by black mold spores.

Read More

Comments

Print Friendly